Monday, April 12, 2010

Grow Grass Grow!

The Goal - Grass in the backyard (Real grass, not weeds)

I'd like to have real grass in my backyard. However, I have several things working against me.

The Challengers:
* Solomon and Samson - I have 2 large dogs. They're really the least of my worries because they've mellowed to the point that they don't play hard enough to cause ruts and there are enough places for them to relieve themselves without creating any brown patches.

* Level not Flat - The fenced area (about a 1/4 acre) is relatively level, but there are several small mounds and ruts. I can live with this, but it does prevent me from cutting really close when I mow.

* Underground spring - A vein of water runs underground beneath the backyard. This is good for deep roots, but it's a problem when it rains because it takes a couple of days for the water to recede.

* Ignorance - I don't know a lot about growing grass. I've tried several times. I don't know what kind of fertilizer to use. I don't know how much to water. I don't know how much sunlight or what temperature is ideal. I'm a lot better off than I use to be, but I really don't *know* what I should be doing to get really thick strong grass to grow.


Possible Solutions???
Now that I've identified the challenge(r)s, I just need to come up with some solutions for each of these (especially that last one). If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear them.


Sidenote: I've already consulted a professional to "just deal with it". His estimate came in around $6000. I'd love to just do that, but yeah... for $6k the weeds will just have to stay until I figure something else out.

No comments: